Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is UAN?
UAN stands for Universal Account Number to be allotted by EPFO. The UAN will act as an umbrella for the multiple Member Ids allotted to an individual by different establishments. The idea is to link multiple Member Identification Numbers (Member Id) allotted to a single member under single Universal Account Number.
2. How do I get my UAN?
Contact your employer to obtain your UAN. Your UAN is readily available with employer.
3. Where can I see the balance in my PF account?
There is an option to download PF passbook from your PF login. The PF passbook will show you the balance in your PF account.
4. Can my mobile number/Email ID be changed?
Yes, you can change your Mobile number and email ID on the PF portal.
5. Can I update/upload my KYC document through the UAN Member Portal?
Yes, it can be done UAN Member Portal. The uploaded KYC document by the member has to be digitally approved by the employer.
6. Which documents are considered for KYC?
Following documents can be used for KYC:-
1. National Population Register (NPR)
3. Permanent Account Number (PAN)
4. Bank Account Number
6. Driving License
7. Election Card
8. Ration Card
9. ESIC Card (Being introduced shortly)
7. How do I know that the KYC uploaded by me has been approved by the employer?
The approval status will be shown against the uploaded KYC document on the same page.
8. What is to be done in case I change the job and join somewhere else?
You need to declare your UAN to your subsequent employers in Form-11 (Declaration Form).
9. In case of change of job, do I have to get UAN again and then activate my account?
No, there is no need to obtain UAN again. It is a one-time permanent number and will remain same throughout your career.
10. Am I able to make changes in PF account information, if they are not correct as per my knowledge?
Below are the changes we can do online
• Correction in Name , If Aadhaar is verified changes cannot be done
• Mobile number change
• Change in Email ID
• Mark Exit date of Previous employer
• Date of Birth change (As per Aadhar), If Aadhar verified changes are not possible.
11. I am not able to see the Passbook or Passbook is not available?
In case you are working in an Exempted Establishment (PF managed by Company itself and Pension fund by EPF Organisation) then your passbook will not be available in the UAN portal. You may contact your establishment to get the PF statement.
12. What benefits will I get for completing KYC process?
Members with KYC completed will benefits with following services
• Smooth transfer of Service
• Smooth withdrawal of PF Amount
• Transparency in your accounts
• Members who have activated their account would get a monthly SMS intimation of their monthly PF
13. What time EPF will take for correction in personal details?
After receiving duly completed information from Employer at concerned Field Office, changes will get uploaded within 1 months. This depend on the type of error in personal details.
14. Why I am not able to link/list previous Member IDs pertaining to me?
As the details are matched with previous Member ID w.r.t. current Member ID and if there is any deviation in Name etc. it will not allow for link/list Member ID.
15. Whether the member can correct his Date of Birth or to furnish the missing information of previous employment particulars through the present employer?
No, the correction in date of birth in the previous employment can be made through the previous employer only.
16. Why is it that the member activation is necessary for completing the process of auto transfer?
The idea behind linking activation to EPFO services was to ensure that the members get updated status of any transactions taking place in their PF accounts on the mobile no. registered through activation.
17. Whether the member is required to be registered on Member Portal to file the Transfer Claim online?
Yes, the member is required to be registered on Member Portal to file the Transfer Claim online.
18. Where does my monthly EPF contribution go?
|Type||Provident Fund||Pension Scheme||Total|
19. Can I make EPF contributions more than 12% of my salary?
Yes, one can do it. The additional contribution is called ‘Voluntary contribution’. All the same rules and interest rate will apply to your voluntary contribution regarding withdrawal, transfer, interest rate and so forth. Voluntary Contribution may be made only by Employee
20. What is the current interest rate on EPF Account?
Currently, for FY 2019-20, the EPF interest rate is 8.5% p.a. The Central Government revises EPF interest rates every year depending upon the revenues made by EPFO on its earlier years’ deposits. The PF interest rate for last 5 years are as follows-
2018-2019: 8.65%; 2017-2018: 8.55%; 2016-2017: 8.65%;
2015-2016: 8.80%; 2014-2015: 8.75%
21. How do I check my EPF Account statement online?
Employee Provident Fund (EPF) members can now access their account statements online at www.epfindia.gov.in members e-sewa portal, and via UMANG app, via SMS, by giving a missed call.
If the EPF is managed by exempted establishment (i.e., a Trust), then the employee should contact his/her employer to check PF balance.
22. How does a member get to know that he is eligible to file the Transfer Claim online?
The member can check the eligibility to file the Transfer Claim Online at the link available on the Homepage of EPFO website www.epfindia.gov.in. This can be accessed through the link - For Employees > Online Transfer Claim Portal (OTCP) > Check eligibility to file Online Transfer Claim or at the URLhttp://memberclaims.epfoservices.in.
23. Is contribution to the EPF mandatory?
For those who have a basic salary of up to INR 15,000, contributing to the EPF is mandatory. Contributions are voluntary for those whose basic salary exceeds INR 15,000. However it is strongly recommended to make such contributions to avail of the various benefits an EPF Account.
24. What should I do when I change my job? And what should be done when I quit my job (without joining elsewhere)?
At such times, the PF balance could be transferred from one employer to another. The existing balance would continue to stay, with fresh contributions made by the new employer. Ensure that you share your UAN with your new employer.
When you quit your job, PF could be withdrawn. You need to provide a declaration that you do not intend to work for the next six months.
25. EPF vs. PPF – Which is better?
Employees' Provident Fund (EPF) and Public Provident Fund (PPF) is considered one of the most favoured retirement fund oriented investment options in India. EPF is an automatic investment as it gets opened once one gets employed. PPF is a voluntary investment option where an investor chooses to invest by opening a PPF account. Both EPF and PPF are risk-free but in EPF, the Centre announces interest rate on yearly basis. In PPF, central government announces interest rate on quarterly basis. Recently, EPF interest rate for FY 2019-20 has been announced 8.5% while PPF interest rate for January to March 2021 is 7.1%. Again, both provide income tax exemption under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act 1961. Both are safe funds, and one may opt for either.
26. Whether the member is required to be registered on Member Portal to file the Transfer Claim online?
Yes, the member is required to be registered on Member Portal to file the Transfer Claim online. Connect with us to understand process flow for the registration and transfer claim.
27. What are the pre-requisite conditions to file the Transfer Claim online?
The following are the pre-requisites to file the Transfer Claim online: (a) Both previous and present member IDs (P.F. Account No.) should be available in EPFO database. (b) The employer should have registered the digital signature certificate of its authorized signatories with EPFO.
28. What are the reasons that member ID is not available in EPFO database?
The member ID may not be available in EPFO database mainly due to following reasons:
- The employer has not yet submitted the return [Electronic Challan cum Return (ECR) or earlier returns prior to ECR] having the member ID.
- The employer has submitted the return [Electronic Challan cum Return or earlier returns prior to ECR] having the member ID, but the same has not been updated on the portal.
29. Whether member can edit his details i.e. father’s name, relationship, date of birth, date of joining, date of exit as available in the EPFO database?
Minor corrections may be done online, however, ‘major corrections’ in member profiles, i.e complete change in the member profile cannot be allowed in the normal course through online.
Online correction in member profile has been allowed to rectify the errors in name, father / husband name, DOB, gender, inserting father name or husband name as middle name, change in surname of female employees.
A complete change in the member profile falls in major correction is only permitted offline
30. What would happen if the member fills up date of birth which is different from that available in EPFO database?
The Member’s date of birth, if available in EPFO database, would act as validation while the claim is filed by the member. The member would be allowed three attempts to fill up the date of birth for validation against the date of birth in EPFO database . After three unsuccessful attempts, the member’s ID would be blocked for online submission of claim.
31. Which employer should member submit his claim to for attestation?
If the present establishment has PF contribution to PF Trust, the member can submit claim only through the present employer. If the previous establishment has PF contribution to PF Trust, the member can submit claim only through the previous employer. In other cases, submission of the claim shall be with the PF department.
32. Which employer – previous or present – should the member approach after online submission of the claim with the duly signed printout of the claim?
The member is required to approach the employer opted for attestation while filing online submission of the claim with the duly signed printout of the claim form.
33. How can a member know that the employer has edited the data furnished by him while filing the claim online?
In case the employer has edited the data submitted by the member in the Online Transfer Claim form, the member would get a PDF file of the revised claim form as submitted by the employer.
34. How can the member get to know the claim status of the claim submitted online by him?
The member can get to know the claim status only on the EPFO portal after logging in.